Hair Masking 101
Let’s talk about self-care. What pops up on your mind might be a picture of yourself sipping wine in the bath while putting on glitter facemarks that promise clearer, brighter skin. Truth is, facemasks have seeped into our collective consciousness and have become a synonym of relaxation and self-love.
We love our skin, obviously, but how about our hair? Facemasks are already a beauty necessity, but hair masks still remains a mystery to most people. Every 20 minutes somewhere in Hong Kong, the question “What on earth is a hair mask?” is asked.
Finally, we are here to answer that question for you.
In a nutshell, hair masks are deep conditioners. Think about what a deep-tissue massage does to your sore muscles, this is the miracle hair masks will do to your stressed, damaged tresses.
It’s usually done as a weekly treatment, hair masks will go deep into your cuticle to revitalise, restore and repair while you just chill around. Yep, your only job here is to just apply the mask to your hair – from roots to ends – and the mask will do their job for you. After a while, rinse off, follows by your usual hair regimen and voila… your hair is alive again! And if you have fine hair, worry not! – hair masks would not weigh down your mane, so it is suitable for all hair types. The secret is to apply it where your hair has been with you the longest, that is from mid-length to ends instead of your roots.
Just like face masking, an additional 10 minutes more pampering to your daily routine makes all the difference. Want to know the step-by-step guide to amika way of hair masking? Keep on reading:
- Inform Alexa to play your fave playlist, light some scented candles* to enhance your shower ritual
- Adjust the water temperature before getting into your shower
- Wash and massage your scalp with Normcore Signature Shampoo and allows lather to form before washing it away
- Apply Normcore Signature Conditioner from mid-length to ends
- Oh, it’s your song! Sing along with the tune for a bit before you wash the conditioner out
- Masking time! Choose a mask – we recommend Lifesaver Treatment Mask for hydration boost and the kure intense repair mask for the ultimate reparative treatment. Apply generously from roots to ends.
- Allow the product to penetrate for up to 10 minutes
- While the mask works its miracle, proceed to your usual shower routine
- Rinse your hair through and through. Pro tips: finish it off with a 15-second cool water rinse to seal your hair cuticle for a smooth and shiny finish
- Dry your hair with a towel and whoop! Now you’ve finished your weekly luxury antioxidant-rich treatment and you’re stepping out of the shower with super enviable hair that lasts all week long.
*candles and music are highly recommended but not compulsory